- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla rice milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or margarine, warmed until liquid
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract (or rum)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with 18 paper baking cups.
- Measure the apple cider vinegar into a 2 cup measuring cup. Fill with rice milk to make 1 1/2 cups. Let stand until curdled, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the rice milk/vinegar mixture, coconut oil (or margarine) and vanilla (or rum). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly. I usually leave them with about 1/4 inch of space from the top of the paper. They will rise. If you want them poofier, fill to the top of the paper and expect some runover.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed (or stick a toothpick in them – if it comes out relatively clean, they are done – with wet batter on it, put them back in for a couple) Total time should be 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack.Decorate con gusto! I’m cheap so I colored my own white frosting with food coloring then cut corners in ziplock bags filled with each color and used that for the lines and details.
Vegan Decorating Frosting of Doom
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups confectioners/powdered’ sugar
- 5 tablespoons rice/soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the shortening and confectioners’ sugar together until the shortening has been incorporated, and the mixture is clumpy. Pour in the milk and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.